If you've searched BiddingForGood for that perfect gift for Dad for this Father's Day but still haven't found it, you've come to the right place. I'll tell you right now that Dad doesn't need another tie. He doesn't need a new watch or golf club, and he really doesn't need a new LeBron James jersey (Go Thunder!). What Dad really needs is just a few-minute conversation with his kin, for them to let him know they care, and the topic of that talk should be Dad's health.
I bet many of you didn't know that each year, National Men's Health Week falls on the week leading up to and including Father's Day. Too many dads will not see the next Father's Day because they are not taking the simple steps needed right now to ensure that they see many more Father's Days to come.
Dr. William Kormos, Editor in Chief of Harvard Men's Health Watch, put together a wonderful article for National Men's Health Week, listing five tips each dad can take to become a healthier person.
5 Tips to Being a Healthier Dad
- Get Moving – Get off the couch, big guy!
- Get Your Colon Checked – It's easy to forget, but it's important... like changing your car's oil.
- Know Your Blood Pressure – Not too high or too low... make sure it's just right.
- Put the Salt Down, Ya Turkey – Try lowering your sodium intake and eat more fresh foods.
- Know the Warning Signs – Understand that you are not a kid anymore. If you think something is off or wrong, speak up and take action before you can't do either!!!
When you talk to Dad about his health, be firm with him that this is important to you. He should have a regular doctor and should not be afraid to speak up if something is feeling off.
On a Lighter Note…
Another doctor that I continually get advice from is Dr. Steve Brule, TV's most knowledgeable fake doctor. In addition to Dr. Kormos’ excellent tips above, Dr. Brule has put together some short videos with life tips that I strongly recommend you and Dad check out.
Dr. Steve Brule’s Tips:
Tip 1 – Milk Expiration
Tip 2 – Fire Safety
Tip 3 – Dental Hygiene, Caveman Style